I have been doing CrossFit for about 2 years and I am trying to improve my technique and numbers for snatch (175lbs) and cln and jerk(220). Therefore I have decided to follow your program for olympic lifters.
1. When you say 80% snatch x 1 x5. Do you mean 80% of your 1 rep max?
2. When you say 80% x 3 is it 80% of your 1 rep max or your 3 rep max?
3. When you say 80%, is it what your last known 1 rep max is or what you are striving for (EX 80% of 180 instead of 175)? The reason I am asking is because I do not feel like I am particularly tired after completing the workouts. Am I suppose to?
4. Should I be increasing my numbers from week to week or do you recommend I keep it constant for a certain amount of time until I make an attempt at a 1 rep max.
5. When you say 100 situps. Are these weighted situps, GHD situps, Overhead situps? Any recommendation? Should I vary it.
6. When doing 25 chinups is this an overhand grip or underhand? does pullup refer to overhand grip and chinup underhand grip?
7. When doing the 25 chinups would you recommend going to failure each set or completing smaller sets and avoiding muscle failure? What is the preferable strategy
Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.
jonathan, good luck and let me know how you are doing. answers to your questions are below.
1. yes its 80% of 1 rm, but basically go how you feel. if that 80% for today is too heavy to allow good technique, lower the weight some.
2. i always use 1 rm. never a 3 rm....in lifting we always strive for a 1 rm in everything we do.
3. the workout today is considered to be a speed day...doing 80% x 1 x 5 sets and taking about a 90 sec rest between sets is not that taxing....but...by the end of the week you will be glad to have these easier days.
4. every saturday we go for it. we do a heavy sn, cj and sometimes a fs. other days its a max day. you decide that. i always say: when the frying pan is hot, i do the cooking!!!
5. your choice. i vary mine....some days i do 100 sit ups using no wt. other days i will do 100 with weight but have to do 25-40 at a time. some times i do a combo...25 weighted, 25 glut-ham, 50 regular.
6. i always do overhand, but encourage to do what feels best.
7. i like going to failure. for example for me a workout might look like this: 10, 8, 5, 5, 5, 7, 8, 5......it varies on how i feel, but each set is to failure. i use strict pull ups as well. but that is up to you.